When I was pregnant with Teddy I sort of fell into a world of baby items and you manage to convince yourself you need them all & you need the most expensive version of everything because surely that means its’s the best and it’ll do it’s job perfectly. Which in some cases that is correct but there are some products we bought that just really didn’t work or we didn’t get our use out of. As soon as I found out I was pregnant with baby number two I started making a mental list of all the things I wouldn’t bother with again, all the products we loved and also items I’ve heard recommended numerous times and would love to have tried the first time around. I thought it would be a good idea to share the baby products I will/won’t be using for baby number two – my lovely friends Amy & Lottie also have similar posts and I found it really interesting comparing our lists!
BABY PRODUCTS I WILL/WON’T BE USING
ITEMS WE WON’T BE USING;
- Moses Basket – We bought one of these for Teddy and he settled in it once, the day we arrived home from hospital, and that was it. We also have a lot less space in our living room now that it resembles a toy shop that has exploded. Instead we will be opting to use the Sleepyhead on the sofa for supervised naps. Teddy would only ever nap on either me or A which was perfectly fine but obviously that won’t be ideal this time around especially during the day when Teddy is also vying for our attention so i’m hoping the baby will settle better in the sleepyhead.
- Lie Down Baby Bath – You can pick these up cheap enough but personally we didn’t like it! It gave me really bad back ache and I was always paranoid about Teddy getting cold due to me trying to lean over and support him properly, especially when I was bathing him alone.
- Expensive Play Mat – We were bought a Mamas & Papas cream coloured fluffy GORGEOUS play mat for Teddy as a present but it was silly expensive and you can buy similar ones for a fraction of the price!
- Room Thermometer – We had one of the Gro Company Groegg thermometers with Teddy and honestly it just made me anxious, especially as he was a May baby and we had a mass heat wave through the summer! I found myself constantly watching it, where as you know if your baby is too hot or too cold through touch and it is much more accurate.
- Ring Sling – My Sister actually lent me her ring sling when Teddy was a baby but I just couldn’t get the hang of it at all! Especially when I was on my own with him, I couldn’t manage to support him and fasten the sling.
ITEMS WE LOVE & WILL USE AGAIN;
- Shnuggle Bath – We bought this when Teddy was around 3 months old and is by far one of my favourite ever purchases! He loved bath time so much more and I felt he was properly submerged in the water without me worrying that he was getting cold, I could pour warm water over him without also trying to hold all his weight.
- Vibrating Baby Bouncer – We didn’t buy anything fancy with Teddy, just a colourful bouncer with vibrating motions and he loved it. It was the only place we could put him down and not cause immense upset. The vibrating option is really soothing for babies so we have opted for the same this time!
- Breast Pump – Teddy never took a bottle but I still made sure to express every day. I used the Medela Swing Electric Breast Pump & a silicone manual breast pump, which I SWEAR BY. You suction it onto the opposite boob whilst baby feeds on the other and it catches your let down, you’ll be surprised how much you can catch! I have kindly been gifted one from Nuby for this baby and I can’t wait to start collecting a lovely milk stash I am hoping that my breastfeeding journey with baby number two is just as successful as it has been with Teddy (who I am still breastfeeding at 2.5 years old).
- Nursing Pillow – I used a pillow everyday, even during the night feeds and it was amazing. Your arms can really ache supporting a baby for extended periods of time, especially during the clusterfeeding days!
- White Noise – We didn’t introduce Teddy to white noise until he was almost a year old and it worked wonders! It actually helped him to settle for naps in his own cot which he had never done before! We have just purchased the Gro Company Grofriend sleep aid and it was really reasonably priced compared to others we looked at.
ITEMS WE WANT TO TRY;
- Sleepyhead – as mentioned above, Teddy never settled anywhere but on us & they come highly recommended! I have been looking second-hand as they are expensive but I am hoping it will be worth the investment.
- Cloth nappies – we have started making some eco-friendly changes in our everyday family life and I am really excited to give cloth nappies a go this time around! I have a small stash ready to go but I am not putting any pressure on myself to go straight into it when baby is born. Just switching to one cloth nappy a day will stop 365 disposable nappies going into landfill and that is a great start!
- Bedside Co-Sleeper – Teddy fully co-slept with us for the first 10 months of his sleep and still came in with us for half the night until he was around 16 months. I LOVE co-sleeping and fully advocate it when done safely, but I would love the option of having a little more room in our bed this time around so we have purchased a bedside co-sleeper! It has a side that comes down for easy access, which I think will be a life saver when it comes to night time breastfeeds.
- Carrier/Wrap – I never got to babywear with Teddy but I feel that i’ll really benefit from it this time, I can have my hands free whilst I focus on Teddy or do bits around the house. I have been looking at the Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier Mini and the Close Parent Caboo Light Baby Carrier.
I think that is it.. although I know after I post this I will probably come up with a couple more things. I hope you find this post useful and i’d love to know which baby products you will/won’t use again?